We do not offer dental services here. However, there are NHS services available - details below
UH Bristol Primary Care Dental Services (PCDS)
Head of Service - Dr Petrina Wood (0117 342 2262
Operational manager - Kay Paul (0117 342 4557)
UH Bristol Primary Care Dental Service provides the following services, many of which are co-located.
The Community Dental Service (CDS) provides dental care for people, who are unable to access treatment from a general dental practitioner (GDP) because of special needs, or disabilities. This includes for example those individuals with mobility problems, learning difficulties, dental phobia, or complex medical histories and those who are housebound. The Service is provided across Bristol, Bath and Weston and referrals are welcome from GDPs, GMPs, other health care professionals such as Health Visitors, carers and relatives. Home visits are available where patients are housebound, or where the disability is such that the individual would find it too difficult to visit a clinic, but this would be at the discretion of the Service.
The Dental Access Centres (DAC) provide treatment for patients, who have experienced difficulty in being accepted by an NHS GDP. The Service gives priority to the relief of pain, but a partial, or full course of treatment may be available where clinic capacity permits. Where possible, patients will then be referred to local GDPs for continuing care.
The Dental Helpline This service provides a single point of access telephone line providing information, advice and signposting patients to dental practices currently accepting new NHS patients. The helpline also books emergency appointments for patients into the appropriate Services for the urgent relief of pain.
Dental helpline on 08451206680 for advice for local dental services.
The Dental Out of Hours Emergency Service (OOH) operates from clinics in Bristol City Centre (City Gate), Bath City Centre (Riverside) and Weston General Hospital. The Service provides the following to all patients whether you are NHS, private, do not have access to regular dental care, or are just visiting the area:
- Call handling and dental assessment (Triage) from 6pm to 9pm Monday to Friday and 8am - 5pm Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays. After these times you will be directed to NHS Direct for information.
- Experienced, qualified primary care dental nurses supported by dentists will carry out a dental assessment of your symptoms over the phone.
- Depending on the outcome of your dental assessment you will be advised of the most appropriate options for your treatment. The following are the possible options you will be offered:
- Advice on self medication
- Treatment within a Dental Access Centre
- Treatment with a General Dental Practitioner
- Treatment in the Primary Dental Care unit at Bristol Dental Hospital
- Dedicated Out of Hours treatment centres (Currently Bristol City Gate, Bath Riverside Dental Access Centres, and Weston General Hospital on a Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holiday mornings).
- Attendance at A&E (for specific problems)
To access this service, call: 0845 120 6680
The cost of treatment all services and clinics is the same as any other NHS dental practice. Unless exempt from charges for which proof is normally required, normal NHS charges apply.
The Oral Health promotion team are based at Weston General Hospital - 01934 647 262.